CYPRUS  Focal Point
Home   Up    Cyprus News
International News
 
    22nd International Congress on Large Dams will take place in Barcelona, 18-23 June 2006
 
    4th World Water Forum will take place in Mexico next March 2006
 
    2nd Experts Seminar in "Dam Surveillance Practice" from 30 May to 2 June 2005 in Austria (ICOLD)
 
    As part of the MEdIES (Mediterranean Education Initiative for Environment and Sustainability) programme the educational material titles Water in the Mediterranean was published. This publication as well as others concerning the Environmental Education are available in the website www.medies.net
 
    According to the National Geographic (September 2002):
    Only 2.5% of the planet's water is fresh. The remaining 97.5% of it is sea water.
    Only 0.4% of the fresh water is on the surface and the atmosphere of the planet. 68.7% of it is in the form of Glaciers, the 0.8% is   
    Permafrost: 30.1% is Groundwater.
    Out of the available surface and atmospheric water, 67.4% is fresh water in lakes, 12.2% is soil moisture, 9.5% is in the atmosphere, 
    8.5% in wetlands, 1.6% is in the rivers and the reaming 0.8% in the Biota.
    The water withdrawal from the ground and surface water is 69% for agriculture, 21% for the industry and 10% for domestic use.
 
   According to the Director General of the World Health Organization, "Safe water supply and adequate sanitation to protect health are among human rights. Ensuring their availability would contribute immeasurably to health and productivity for development". For more details please follow the Link.
 
    Visit the UNESCO Water Portal